I’m sitting and writing this post with my travel memories as fresh as this itchy sunburn. My husband and I just returned from a weeklong trip to Cancun/Riviera Maya! You see, travel is our self-care.
Travel is our bonding time.
Travel is how we reward ourselves for everything…..for being alive, for being thankful for our blessings, for our hard work and for our marriage.
I think couples can learn a lot about each other when they travel. Whether it’s a road trip or an international trip, being in close quarters and ALONE TOGETHER for a stretch of time can teach two individuals a lot about each other.
What can you learn?
- How does your partner view the larger world? New cultures?
- How do they handle lost luggage? (Maya Angelou has a great quote about this)
- Are they able to unplug and relax? Do they need you to teach them HOW?
- Does your partner have healthy relaxation skills that you could learn from?
- Is it easier to communicate about shared goals or values when you both have a break from your daily schedules?
- Does travel allow you both to fully enjoy interests outside the daily grind? (water activities, outdoor interests, food/wine, museums, arts, music, sports, volunteering)
- What makes them laugh from deep down in their gut??
I carried my love for travel into this marriage. I travelled often before I got married and now my hubby is addicted to international travel! I had two intense jobs before I got married, therefore travel was my ultimate self-care. I literally flew by myself to New York on a red-eye, dropped off my bags and went running in Central Park. No lie. (Running outdoors is a GREAT form of self-care).
There’s so much to learn about yourself when you venture outside your block, your city, your time zone. Your way of doing things is not the only way.
You are just a microcosm of this diverse, complicated and magical world.
Travelling really reinforces what I’m grateful for. I can’t complain about going back to work when I have a steady paycheck, an office, air conditioning, health insurance and paid days off. Not to mention, a safe home, family, my beloved pups and food in my fridge.
And as I write this post I have specific song lyrics stuck in my head. This video is in honor of Prince’s birthday today and in honor of your next adventure……Where will the road take you??
(Sidenote: We learned of Prince’s passing while on vacation in Denver. The scenery in this video looks similar to our drive in the Rockies. This song was playing on the radio……..)