Welcome to the 1st week of summer! Don’t let it go to waste by sticking to the same ol’ routine! Consider this list of self-care activities before winter returns!
- Enjoy an animated movie! Finding Dory was released last week and me and my mom can’t wait to see it. Plus, the theater will keep you nice and cool!
- Take your coloring and painting projects outdoors! Invite younger family members who are on summer break and join them in some creative painting or coloring! Speaking of Finding Dory, I am including a link to free Finding Dory coloring pages from Mommy Mafia’s website!
- DIY projects: What kind of projects am I talking about? Sewing a summer dress, beading jewelry for yourself or as a gift, home décor, knitting or crocheting, office décor, flower arranging, making your own foot scrub or bath soak, etc. Tip: Walk around your local hobby store and see what jumps out at you or visit my Pinterest page for my Project-ish Board!
- Find a local pool and cool off. Jump in for a few laps, bring a magazine and lounge or get some much needed Vitamin D. Maybe a nearby hotel has a local deal!!
- Take your workout outdoors. Find a local trail and split up your run into lunges and quick sprints. Use a bench for tricep dips, use bleachers for stair climbing or do a night bike ride with friends or the kids.
- Find a nearby location that you have never visited and act like a tourist. Changing our environment helps us get out of our head. This is why many (like myself) find travelling rejuvenating. After my puppy passed away, me, my mom and my husband needed to get out of the house. We went to a nearby city, ate lunch and explored antique shops. It helped distract us, took us away from the emptiness at home and tired us out.
- Arrange a date with a friend for pampering. If money is tight, venture to the drugstore together and pick up face masks, manicure tools and bright nail polishes. Add some snacks, beverages and music and you have a spa party!
- Find local events that require you to be outside (weather permitting). For example, farmers markets, outdoor concerts, outdoor theater performances, pool parties, patio brunches, dinner cruises, art festivals, pet festivals, charity events or marathons. Fresh air distracts us from our destructive thoughts! Tip: Follow your cities events page on Facebook!
The summer season can be a time of growth, renewal and a time to drop fears and routines. Winter weather places limitations on taking our self-care outdoors. Take advantage of the longer days and sunshine- You Deserve It!
Challenge: Pick a new summer self-care activity and post a picture on Facebook or Instagram. Tag me using the hashtag #thefocusonyou!