As I celebrate my birthday this week I am reflecting on the year’s events/milestones.
1. This year I will be missing my beagle, Pookie, who passed away suddenly 9 months ago. Something about birth reminds me of death. Ugh, I hate that word in this context. I still can’t say the “D” word in the same sentence as him. Plus, his birthday would have been next week and I know I’m going to be a mess.
2. I have 2 new beagles who joined our family this year, thanks to my husband. I am truly grateful for them and how they remind me so much of their brother. Must be a beagle thing….attitude, pushy, cuddly and always hungry!
3. Ugh, the mid-30’s are rough. More greys (or platinum), more SPF and wrinkle cream, less energy, yada yada. On the plus side, I hear women have these marvelous epiphanies when they hit 40. I am low-key intrigued now. Plus, it’s another reason to take an international vacation!!
4. Despite losses, I count my blessings for the people who ARE present with me this year. I also count my blessings that I continue to do work that I love and with an agency that I believe in. I know the feeling of NOT working, NOT having money after bills and NOT having a loving partner.
5. Every year on my birthday (and many other days as well) I truly FOCUS ON ME. It shouldn’t take a birthday for you to do the same. Maybe you get a day to yourself on Mother’s/Father’s Day or anniversaries. Focusing on you isn’t about spending money or over-indulging (although feel-free!). It’s tapping into what YOU WANT!
I’m not talking about Ferraris or Tiffany jewelry.
I want to go to the Zara sale. I want cheesecake. Not unrealistic!
Have a “birthday” any day you want. Have it in the summer and plan a pool party. Do what you like!!!
Tell me how you focus on yourself for special occasions!
What keeps you from focusing on what you want?
Please share below or in social media comments!